NEW Coronavirus Relief Bill: Tell Congress to Include People With Disabilities (Send an email!)
Congress has passed two bills to respond to the coronavirus pandemic – but more must still be done to support people with disabilities, their families, and the direct support professional (DSP) workforce.
The entire country is facing the health and economic impacts of COVID-19, but people with disabilities are particularly vulnerable. People with disabilities are more likely to have underlying health conditions and live in poverty – this means that they will be disproportionately impacted and need ongoing support.
The second Coronavirus Relief Bill was an important step in getting people the support they need. It included increased funding for state Medicaid programs, and it expanded sick leave for workers, including for some workers who support people with disabilities to live independently. But Congress did not address the needs of people with disabilities!
We must ask Members of Congress to pass a bill that addresses the ongoing needs of people with disabilities during this crisis, including:
- Funding for a Medicaid grant program to support access to home and community-based services (to combat institutionalization) and to support the DSP workforce and a permanent reauthorization of the Money Follows the Person (MFP) program.
- Raising Medicaid, SSI, and SNAP asset limits. People on these programs are subject to strict asset limits that need to be raised to ensure stimulus payments do not put benefits at risk.
- Boosting Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits for the crisis. People with disabilities and seniors are some of the hardest hit by this pandemic. Benefits should be boosted to help people with disabilities recover.
- Paid leave for caregivers for people with disabilities. In the last bill, Congress covered sick days for many workers, but did not include caregivers who need to take time off support people with disabilities who have lost or will lose their usual sources of care.
- AND no limitations on disability rights protections should be included in the legislation.
Use the form Here to send an email to urge your Members of Congress to include the rights and needs of people with disabilities in coronavirus relief legislation! You will be able to edit the sample email before you send it!