We are the Boston Public Schools Special Education Parents Advisory Council. The purpose of Boston SpedPac is to provide a voice and give support for parents of children with special needs. We are a multi-lingual, multi-cultural, council made up exclusively of parent volunteers. We work with the Boston Public Schools district to ensure that children get the services and support they need to develop to their full potential.
All parents are welcome and encouraged to participate.
The more voices we have, the more we can accomplish.
Our children represent more than 20% of the students in the Boston Public Schools (BPS) system. More than 11,000 students have disabilities and require services based on their own individual needs. Whether your child has a specific learning disability, a developmental disorder, or multiple disabilities, we need to work together as a group to have our voices and concerns heard by BPS and effect change to improve services for our children. Please participate in any way that you can.
Boston SpedPac Purpose:
- Advise the BPS on matters that pertain to the education and safety of students with disabilities
- Meet regularly with school officials to participate in the planning, development, and evaluation of the school District’s special education programs
- Advocate for the appropriate supports and special education services necessary to meet the individual needs of children with disabilities
- Hold monthly SpedPac meetings to discuss important updates from BPSʼs Ofﬁce of Special Education and Student Services
- Educate parents and caregivers through training and workshops on special education matters and issues
Please join us at our General Meetings. Bring a friend and spread the word.
Boston SpedPac General Meetings for the 2017 – 2018 school year
will be held from 7-8:30 PM on:
September 28 – Starting the Year off Right, Basic Rights
October 26 – Strategies for Supporting Specific Learning Disabilities,
including Dyslexia, ADHD and Executive Functioning
November 30 – BPS Update on Transition services/ Guardianship/ SSI
No December Meeting
January 25 – Special Needs Resource Fair
February 15 – Understanding Test Results
March 29 – Autism – from diagnosis to treatment (Omnibus Law)
April 26 – Inclusion and BPS
and May 24 – ESY and Board Elections
Where: Richard J. Murphy School
1 Worrell St Dorchester, MA 02122
Childcare and Spanish translation available upon request at all meetings and light refreshments will be served
Please sign up for our email list at our meetings and check out our flyer page for our General Meetings.